1. What is the comprehensive plan? The comprehensive plan is the leading policy document and tool to help communities create a vision and guiding principles for decision-making for their town. This consolidated set of policies covers a range of topics including: Land use; transportation; economic development; demographics; housing; health; environment; and, others.
2. What is the purpose of the comprehensive plan? The comprehensive plan’s purpose is to directly inform decisions that we make as a community. It does so by helping us to understand our historical context; identify current or anticipated issues; evaluate options for how to best proceed; and, establish a set of policies to accomplish our aims. Our existing comprehensive plan is available on the “Documents” tab of the comprehensive plan webpage.
3. Why are we undertaking a comprehensive plan now? The board of commissioners identified the comprehensive plan as a priority in their 2018-2019 Strategic Plan. Additionally, our last comprehensive plan was completed in 2010 – most communities update or create a new plan every five to ten years. This is especially true for communities in high-growth areas like the Charlotte metropolitan region.
4. When did this process begin, how long has it been going on, and when will it end? The process officially kicked off in the fall of 2018 with an online survey and numerous pop-up events around town where community members were asked to provide feedback. It continued with two public workshops – one in January and one in April – that built upon the public engagement efforts and survey results in the fall. This summer the project team drafted the plan based on community input, and this fall community members have the chance to review and make comments on the plan. Once revised, it’s possible that the board of commissioners will adopt the plan early next year.
5. Who’s involved in making the comprehensive plan? Everyone! First and foremost, it’s a community-centered process. The comprehensive plan process entails an extended community conversation that intentionally engages all stakeholders – residents/citizens, neighborhoods, businesses, the college, town government, non-profits, and institutions.
6. How will this affect me? As residents, employees, and/or business owners in the town, you stand to gain from a well-executed comprehensive plan. This is especially true if you become active in the process and share your thoughts and ideas. The town is committed to an open process where anyone who cares about the future of Davidson has a chance to contribute. Ultimately, the comprehensive plan is intended to deliver greater prosperity and quality of life to all segments of the community. By getting involved you can help shape the vision and recommendations that make this happen.
7. Do I have to be an expert to contribute ideas? Absolutely not! By living, working, or raising a family in Davidson, you know so much about our community. Your intuition is vital to the plan’s success. Whether you’ve just moved to the community or are a fourth-generation life-long resident, your perspective is important.
8. How can I get involved? Mark your calendar for the release of the draft comprehensive plan (anticipated late October), followed by an open house on Thursday, November 7 at town hall. At this meeting community members will have the opportunity to learn more about the plan and contribute additional comments. The public comment period will wind down in mid-November and further plan refinements will be made. It’s anticipated that a public hearing on the plan will be held in early December.
9. Where can I learn more? Share your email on the website and we’ll keep you posted on upcoming meetings and major announcements.
Join our email list to stay informed and discover opportunities to get involved.