1. What is the comprehensive plan? The comprehensive plan is the leading policy document and tool to help communities create a vision and guiding principles for decision-making for their town. This consolidated set of policies covers a range of topics including: land use; transportation; economic development; demographics; housing; health; environment; and, others.
2. What is the purpose of the comprehensive plan? The comprehensive plan’s purpose is to directly inform decisions that we make as a community. It does so by helping us to understand our historical context; identify current or anticipated issues; evaluate options for how to best proceed; and, establish a set of policies to accomplish our aims.
3. Why are we undertaking a comprehensive plan now? The board of commissioners identified the comprehensive plan as a priority in their 2018-2019 Strategic Plan. Additionally, our last comprehensive plan was completed in 2010 — most communities update or create a new plan every five to ten years. This is especially true for communities in high-growth areas like the Charlotte metropolitan region.
4. Who’s involved in making the comprehensive plan? Everyone! First and foremost, it’s a community-centered process. The comprehensive plan process entails an extended community conversation that intentionally engages all stakeholders – residents/citizens, neighborhoods, businesses, the college, town government, non-profits, and institutions. To assist with public engagement, visioning, and plan composition, an experienced team of public engagement practitioners was selected by a commissioner-appointed committee of citizens, staff, and elected officials. Led by Clarion Associates and Planning Next, the planning process will feature dedicated public engagement beginning in the fall of 2018. A variety of events, tools, and meeting formats will encourage community members to provide insight into our community via in-person meetings/workshops, email, and online as well as hard-copy surveys.
5. When will this process begin? In May the board of commissioners appointed a group of citizens, staff, and elected officials to draft and distribute a Request for Proposals, which was released May 25, 2018. Over the summer proposals were reviewed, interviews conducted, and a consultant recommended by this group. After reviewing their qualifications and meeting with the recommended firm at their August 28 meeting, the Davidson Board of Commissioners directed staff to enter into a contract with Clarion Associates of Chapel Hill, NC. The first round of public engagement, Exploring our Planning Principles, is underway and will continue through December.
6. How will this affect me? As residents and/or business owners in the town, you stand to gain from a well-executed comprehensive plan. This is especially true if you become active in the process and share your thoughts and ideas. The town is committed to an open process where anyone who cares about the future of Davidson has a chance to contribute. Ultimately, the comprehensive plan is intended to deliver greater prosperity and quality of life to all segments of the community. By getting involved you can help shape the vision and recommendations that make this happen.
7. How can I get involved? There will be many opportunities to contribute your ideas to the What’s Next process. Whether at an in-person workshop, a small focus group, or through the online public input tool, everyone is invited to contribute their thoughts and ideas. Meetings will be announced well in advance through traditional media, social media, and on this website.
8. Do I have to be an expert to contribute ideas? Absolutely not! By living, working, or raising a family in Davidson, you know so much about our community. Your intuition is vital to the plan’s success. Whether you’ve just moved to the community or a fourth-generation life-long resident, your perspective is important.
9. How will my input be used? When you contribute an idea to What’s Next you are contributing directly to the comprehensive plan. Depending on when you get involved, your ideas could serve as the foundation for the community’s vision statement, contribute to one of the plan’s goals, inspire a specific action (like a new project, policy, or program), or set the course for implementation. Each comment will be recorded, databased, categorized, and analyzed.
10. Where can I learn more? Share your email on the website and we’ll keep you updated on upcoming meetings and major announcements.
Join our email list to stay informed and discover opportunities to get involved.